Monday, May 2, 2011

Eating the whale in one gulp!!!!

My favorite Shel Silverstein poem was Melinda Mae. It was about a little girl who sat down to eat a whale and it took her until she was an old woman to finish it because she ate it one tiny bite at a time. I have always referenced this poem while working with my students. I feel that anything can be conquered if you handle it "one bite at a time". For my current situation I am being a bit more literal!!! Since I have become so many things in my life have changed, I take life minute by minute. The one thing that has knocked me out of my rocker is my weight gain. Don't get me wrong- I have NEVER been an athlete and I have gone up and down with my weight all my life. This is ridiculous though! Every medicine they try has the Wonderful side effect of weight gain or increased appetite. Combine that with months of not being able to do physical activity and you equal craziness!!!! I should also mention that I tend to be an emotional eater, that is in full gear right now. So basically I have eaten the whale in one big gulp and have moved on to a second helping. Is there an end in sight, because right now I am just just to breathe....

No comments:

Post a Comment