Thursday, June 13, 2013

Migraine & Headache Awareness Month #13- Sophie's Choice

What are the toughest treatment choices you face when balancing Migraine/Headache Disorders with other health conditions?

I would like to say that Migraines and Cluster Headaches are the only health problems that I have, but like so many other who suffer from both, I have other health issues to contend with.  Treating me becomes a type of balancing act amongst my doctors.  I think the toughest treatment choice is how to prioritize my treatments. I have worked hard to find doctors who are willing to communicate with each other or at the very least review my progress in all of my health areas.  There have been times that a medication I am prescribed by one doctor has caused  complications with my treatment from another doctor.  At that point it is up to me to figure out how to proceed.  My doctors can give me all of the information but at the end of the day, I am the one who has to decide what challenges I am willing to face and when to throw my hands up and say enough.
Saying enough is very hard for me.  In the past I have been "the good little patient", but most times that led to more pain and frustration.  Through my support team I have learned to be my own advocate.  To educate myself to the best of my abilities and become an active participant in my own treatment.  I have also learned to make it clear where my limit is and to say no when that limit is reached.  There are still times that I worry that I have not gone far enough to get the best results but in the end I have to trust my gut.  I am always looking for new ideas and until I find my solution I will just keep breathing.....

June 2013, Migraine and Headache Awareness Month, is dedicated to Unmasking the Mystery of Chronic Headache Disorders. The 2013 Migraine and Headache Awareness Month Blog Challenge is a project of FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment