Thursday, June 5, 2014

Migraine & Headache Awareness Month #2- Hope




Day # 2 prompt (and forgive me but I have fallen behind due to attacks) is read the poem A Bed of Clouds by Ashley L. May and write what it brings to mind for you.  

The poem begins:

I sleep in the clouds, dream in the sky, I'll keep dreaming as life passes me by.
I think my dreams keep me sane, I dream of happiness, a life without pain...

I hope that everyone takes the time to read this poem before or after you read this post.  

For me it is a very fine line between dreaming and living a lie.  I spent the first year after my Cluster Headache diagnosis pushing forward.  In my mind, if I ran fast enough I would be able to outrun what was happening to me.  I learned all to quickly that my pain was way faster than I could ever be.  When I finally stopped running and faced myself I didn't know where to go or what to do.  I spent almost two years of my life living in denial, believing that tomorrow would return me to my "normal" self.  Those two years only lead me into a deep depression that I almost didn't come out of.  I shut myself in my home, away from family and friends.  I decided that I had to live up to my label of disabled, which to me meant that happiness was not okay.  I kept telling others that this would not last forever, while secretly knowing that my life was over.
I wish I could tell you what pulled me from my nightmare, but to this day I am not sure.  I know that my family played a HUGE role, as well as a support group I found online.  My family let me know that I may not be able to run faster than my pain, but they are here to carry me when I can't run any further.  My support group showed me that I was not alone in my pain.  I was also lucky enough to find a doctor who cares about me and hasn't given up on me.  She recently told my husband and my father that I am "the model patient, I do everything I can to try to get better".  I wear that compliment as my badge!!!  To me hope/dream are one in the same.  I do not accept that where I am is where I will always be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment