Thursday, June 5, 2014

Migraine & Headache Awareness Month 2014 #5- Not Just a Fairy Tale Anymore...


Day #5 prompt: The fairy tale or character that best describes you.  Tell us why

Ok.  This answer will bring about a chuckle and probably a few jokes from some of you (Aimee)...  But to me this fairy tale says it all.  When I think about what fairy tale that best describes me I think of Hans Christian Andersen's The Ugly Duckling.  (Ok- insert joke and laughing here)

I actually identify with this fairy take not in the traditional sense- the ugly duckling who doesn't belong becomes a beautiful swan.  The way I see it is that The Beast (Cluster Headache Attack) changes me from who I am into something very ugly.  

Many people think of migraine or headache and they think of going to a dark, silent room and retreating until the pain is gone (for hours or days).  With Cluster Headaches comes aggravation, agitation and the desire to put your head through a wall or window.  People with Cluster Headaches have been known to seek other forms of pain during an attack to find some kind of relief from the attack.  When I am in a massive attack I have been known to scream, sob uncontrollably, hit my head against any object that will not break (and some that will).  I do not want to be touched, talked to or looked at.  Any number of insults, curse words and threats can come spewing from my mouth.  An attack is a VERY ugly thing to see and a big reason why I hide myself from everyone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment