Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Migraine And Headache Awareness 2015 #2: Who Helps You Hope





Day #2 Prompt: Who helps you Hope? Which person in your life has helped you most to hold on to hope, despite your Migraines or Headaches and how?


It is hard to pick one person who has helped me most because I have such a great support system with my parents, siblings, and husband.  But if I had to pick one person in my life who has helped me hold onto my hope, it would have to be my dad.  When my Cluster Headaches and Migraines started taking over my life and I started seeking out treatments, it was my dad who began accompanying me to my doctors appointments.  In two years we traveled the state of Florida from Miami to Jacksonville looking for someone who could offer me some kind of relief. 

In the beginning, each new doctor held renewed hope for me.  I remember our visit to Shands in Jacksonville.  I know deep down that we all felt that this doctor was going to bring me an answer.  So my dad and I loaded up his car with all of my medication and my oxygen tank to make the 4 hour drive to Jacksonville.  My appointment with the doctor consisted of 30 minutes of him telling me that  he was not going to be of any help to me.  I walked out of that office, sat down next to my father and just cried.  I was so defeated and felt that I had let down my entire family.  The last thing I wanted to do was to return to reality.  Somehow my father could tell, instead of turning around for home, he treated me to a nice dinner and gave me the evening to get my head back on straight. 

My dad has laughed with me as I got 32 injections of Botox in my face and neck.  He has kept me company during countless hours in waiting rooms.  Most importantly, he has allowed me to lean on him during those moments when I begin to doubt that there is still a reason to hope.  My dad has always taught me that no matter how hard life gets, no matter how severe the pain is; just give it a moment and see what the next moment brings.  Through his support and encouragement, I can always find hope. 



"The Migraine and Headache Awareness Month Blog Challenge is organized by the American Headache and Migraine Association." 

No comments:

Post a Comment