Friday, June 21, 2013

Migraine & Headache Awareness #20-Star Trek: Generations

What role do Migraine/Headache Disorders play in your family?  Do others live with it?  Does this make a difference in how you talk about it?

I have suffered from headaches since I was around 12 years old.  Growing up it was not anything that I really discussed with my family, it just was a part of life.  I was diagnosed with Migraines at age 18, Chronic Daily Headaches at age 29 and Chronic Migraines and Cluster Headaches at age 33.  Throughout each diagnosis my family has been very involved in helping me research what I was experiencing and forms of treatment.  Throughout the years my parents and sister have experienced Headaches and Migraines, but no formal diagnoses were ever made that I am aware of.  The fact that they have not been diagnosed has never impeded their ability to try to understand my experiences or to support me when needed. 
It was my parents who would try to help me when I was younger when I started suffering from headaches.  Even prior to my first diagnosis, they were always supportive.  Constantly searching for answers on how to help me.  That has never changed.  To this day, my parents attend the majority of my appointments with me, voice opinions when they are concerned about the treatment I am receiving and help me make choices on how to best attack the Beast.
My sister received the phone call during my first ever Cluster Attack.  I thought I was going to die.  She talked me through it and then helped me research what I was experiencing.  She has been very helpful with searching for different forms of treatments to discuss with my doctors. 
My brother has added humor since childhood.  He took a scolding from a doctor when he responded to the doctor's question of "What should we do with you?" with saying VAPORIZE HER.  He tried a sugar free diet with me as a child.  And he listens to me when I am upset about how things are at this moment in my life.
I can honestly say that I do not know where I would be without my immediate family.  I am one lucky girl.  I know many others who suffer alone or in silence due to not having supportive people in their lives.  My parents and sibling are just the beginning of the list of those who support me.  Most of whom do not suffer from Migraines or Headaches on a regular basis. 

June 2013, Migraine and Headache Awareness Month, is dedicated to Unmasking the Mystery of Chronic Headache Disorders. The 2013 Migraine and Headache Awareness Month Blog Challenge is a project of FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment