Saturday, June 8, 2013

Migraine & Headache Awareness Month #8- Little Shop of Horrors: "FeedMe, Seymour"

What comfort foods do you reach for when you have a migraine or headache attack?

Considering I gained 51 pounds since my diagnosis of cluster headaches in 2009 it is very clear that emotional eating is one of my favorite coping skills.  While the weight gain started due to medications I was taking; especially the constant steroid packs, I did not help myself with the 11pm chicken nachos or 4:30am bag of peppermint patties.  When I am in the middle of a cluster headache attack the only thing that I want to do is make it through it.  It is the aftermath of the cluster headache or during my migraines that I tend to get myself in trouble with food.  Some of my FAVORITE go to foods when I am feeling low are; McDonald's, cool ranch Doritos, chocolate and mambas (thanks sis).  During the few minutes it takes me to consume and of these items I am in my own little heaven.  It is afterwords that I realize that I am not helping myself.  So I have started to find new ways to cope other than always running to food.  I am improving on my meditation/biofeedback, take a walk or just breathe......


June 2013, Migraine and Headache Awareness Month, is dedicated to Unmasking the Mystery of Chronic Headache Disorders. The 2013 Migraine and Headache Awareness Month Blog Challenge is a project of FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment