Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Migraine & Headache Awareness Month #24 Risky Business

Each time you try a new treatment you take a risk.  How do you initiate a discussion with your doctor so you can make an educated decision about trying it as a team?

I am all about open and honest communication with my doctor.  I look for doctors who want to work with me and with my other doctors to find the best possible solution.  I have had experiences in the past when I had a doctor who did not want to hear my opinions or ideas.  I've also dealt with some doctors who don't want to work with my other treatment staff.  Those are red flags that my best interest is not their concern. 
Prior to any doctor visit I reach out and do research on possible treatments that I have not tried.  When I am with my doctor I will bring up the treatments and get her opinion on them.  Usually she will allow me to make the final decision on a treatment unless it is something that she 100% knows is not a good option for me (and usually I know this prior to walking in because of my research). 
I know many people are afraid to take control of a doctor appointment, there are still many times when I feel overwhelmed and can get lost in an appointment.  That is why I suggest that you always take someone with you.  That way you can feel that you have some support on your side and when your brain is exploding; you have someone there to take notes. 

Please know that in the end you are the one going through treatments.  Relaxing and breathing are great when in an attack, but ignoring risks to possible treatments can prolong your pain!!!!!!


June 2013, Migraine and Headache Awareness Month, is dedicated to Unmasking the Mystery of Chronic Headache Disorders. The 2013 Migraine and Headache Awareness Month Blog Challenge is a project of FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.

5 comments:

  1. thank for sharing this awareness! great advice on bringing someone to come and support you

    SANUS TV Mount Giveaway
    No Bake Cake Pops

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you for "taking charge" at your appointments. This is something I struggle with. You are right, bringing someone with you to the appointment is such a great idea! Prayers and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandi!!! Let me tell you, my dad has been a lifesaver at my appointments when I get overwhelmed!!!!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete