Thursday, June 27, 2013

Migraine & Headache Awareness Month #27- Anger management: Goosefrabba

How do you constructively deal with the anger and resentment that arises as a result of living wit Migraine/Headache Disorders?

When my Chroinc Clusters first began in November 2009, I dealt with the pain and the emotions caused from it by working.  While I struggled with work, it was a good distraction.  When working got to be too much for me and I left in 2010, my coping skills were not enough to get me through for very long.  For two years I spent life in a fog; not from medications or pain; but from my inability to deal with my life.  What I struggled to deal with was how overwhelming all of the fall out from constant pain is.  In an instant I didn't just have to learn how to carry myself through my pain, I also had to deal with losing my identity (leaving work and not driving), having a massive hit to my self esteem and my constant need to explain my pain to others so they would understand my choices. 
It wasn't until 2012 that I spent time at Tampa General going through the Headache & Chronic Pain Clinic that I learned how to better cope with everything that comes along with chronic pain.  I learned to take every day as a new day with new possibilities.  I began to understand that I didn't have to fight everything at once.  I could live in the moment and then take on a new moment.  I found new faith in myself as a productive member of society, even if I am not contributing in the way that I want.  And I spent a week with a physcial therapist who helped me find ways to make myself healthier; in the end, helping with mangaing my Cluster Headaches, Migraines, Daily Intractable Headaches and the chronic pain that comes from it all.
I will admit that I am not perfect when it comes to dealing with my emotions; especially anger and resentment.  I am very sensitive, I tend to overreact to situations and it is hard on a daily basis to not let the emotions from my Migraines & Cluster Headaches/Headaches spill into all other experiences.  When this happens I turn to my family.  They are the ones I know will tell me the truth, let me have my breakdown and support me as I find my way back to sanity.  You see, I am not the only one who has to deal with the emotional fall out from my pain.  My life has changed, but with it, I take everyone else in my life on this journey.  It is unfair, but I don't know how to seperate my pain from my life; therefore, I am unable to seperate it from my daily interactions.  I could not do it without the support of my family.

June 2013, Migraine and Headache Awareness Month, is dedicated to Unmasking the Mystery of Chronic Headache Disorders. The 2013 Migraine and Headache Awareness Month Blog Challenge is a project of FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment